September 24, 2002
- Microsoft buys Rare
[ posted by: R.I.P ]
- Well, today is a rather significant day for many people, although my feelings are pretty heavily mixed on the matter.
- As the title says, Microsoft announced today that they have acquired Rare for $375 million. Nintendo as also sold their 49% stock holdings in the company.
- As a part of the deal, Microsoft gains the rights to Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Killer Instinct, Jet Force Gemini, Blast Corps, Sabre Wulf and Conker's Bad Fur Day, five of which will be developed as titles for the XBox over the next two years. First though, Rare will be pulling both Kameo and the Perfect Dark sequal from GameCube and transferring them to XBox.
- While one part of me is surprised and saddened by the deal, another part of me could care less at this point. While I was a long time fan of Rare for years, ever since the NES days, the horrible nose dive Rare's games took in quality after Jet Force Gemini (possibly their best game ever) really put me off. From the changing every one of the Banjo characters from being sweet and lovable to in the sequal, being mean spirited and aloof... To possibly one of the worst game cameras in the history of 3-D perspective console gaming in Conker's. I'll be honest, not only did I not care what they were doing, I felt deeply burned by these titles and I quit even considering their games.
- The more I think about it though, the completely unoriginal rehash of Star Fox for the N64, and the crap sequal to Killer Instinct were the first marks against them. Not only did they not expand on the original storyline in Star Fox, they actually seemed to cut it back! (I still want to know what happened to Fox's dad? Is he, or is he not in that damn vortex?)
- As far as Dinosaur Planet goes, I just haven't found myself interested enough to bother with it, and I don't know if I will ever do more than rent it at best.
- While I hate to see a core group from Nintendo go over to the hands of the soulless boys and girls of Microsoft... deep down I almost hope that Rare actually continues it's pitiful slide into the hole of mediocrity and takes MS with them... but that would be hoping for to much I guess.
- Thoughts on World War III
[ posted by: R.I.P ]
- While this isn't necessarily gaming news, Evan has updated his bios page. Feel free to stop over and give it read.
- Also, on another subject, we've received a grand total of $57 in donations over the last month. Thanks to everyone who sent in a little bit to help out. If you want to know why we're asking for donations then you should probably read the S.O.S. page for more information.
[Back to News Archive]